Friday 11 May 2012

A week without a mouse

When I was in 7th grade to stop me from using my computer my mother would take away my computers mouse. If the same were to happen today I'm well versed enough with a keyboard to perform basic operations. But just how well versed am I?

Back in the day, when computers were serious business and science tools, the keyboard reigned supreme. In fact the mouse as we know it today didn't exist at all. Hell the Commodore was an entire computer built into a keyboard.

All that changed when Apple and Microsoft *cough* borrowed *cough* the concept of a graphical user interface from Xerox and computers, as we know them today were born. And between iOS, Android, the iPad and Windows 8 tablets the physical hardware keyboard is bordering on extinction.

To test if keyboards are as relevant today as they were 30 years ago I'm going to go a month without using a mouse. I've taken the battery out of my run of the mill Logitech mouse and handed the mouse itself to my friend. Yes I use a laptop which has a built in track pad but it sucks and for the sake of the challenge and the sake of my own sanity I'm just going to avoid it. Its there only for emergencies.

I'll write updates every second day as well as a conclusion article and share any tips I pick up from my time away from a mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment